Tuesday 18 March 2014

Yet another muffin recipe!

Must be "Muffin Season"!!

I bought some blackberries, intending to make a blackberry and apple crumble (I know, I know, out of season) and they were SO sour I had to opt for a Plan B. This is what I came up with. I attempted to substitute the buttermilk in my recipe for rice cream and a banana puree fruit pot (adds a raising agent) and it worked quite well.

Free from dairy, soya, wheat, gluten. Could be egg free but I was nervous as I had already made a big substitution with the buttermilk.




Ingredients
  • 175g/6oz Doves Farm gluten free SR flour or your choice and raising agent if required
  • 175g/6oz caster sugar
  • 175ml/6fl oz total consisting of rice cream, (Oatly cream or soya cream if tolerated) and one banana puree (fine if it has apple in) fruit pot
  • 1 medium egg
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 40g/1 1/2oz melted butter
  • 150g blackberries/blueberries 

Method
  • Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4
  • Sift flour and baking powder (if using) together. Add sugar
  • Add fruit pot and rice cream to make the 6fl oz in a separate bowl
  • beat in the egg and add the vanilla essence
  • add in the cooled melted butter
  • stir the "wet" ingredients into the dry bowl
  • Fold in the berries
  • Spoon into muffin cases. Back for 20-25 minutes until soft and springy.
TIP If your berries are very soft/ripe you would need to reduce the rice cream/puree mix by at least 1 oz. If you put the puree in the bowl first, it's easy to add the cream to the right amount.


They were really tasty, very delicious although slightly too moist inside. I suspect the recipe needs a little tweaking but they were enjoyed here fresh and half have gone in the freezer for packed lunches.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Many thanks for taking the time to comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...